Sunday, July 15, 2007

International Cycling Classic - Day 2 (7/15/07)

Well, some days you have good luck...and some days you don't.

Today's course had 6 turns on a .9 mile course for 40 miles. The field was bigger today...so this made the race pretty dangerous at times. The course wasn't difficult enough to split up the field, or fast enough to keep it lined out for any significant period of time.

Towards the end a break of 3 guys got away, and we missed the move. This means that we were going for 4th place. With 1 1/2 laps to go I was in pretty good position, but it just wasn't fast enough, so the pack was spread across the road...and I ended up getting shoved off he road. I went over the curb which dropped off into a rut on the other side...my wheels got stuck and I had to unclip at 30+ mph to try and stay upright. Luckily I did, but during the jarring my chained dropped off my chainring onto the bottom bracket...game over. Curtis was behind me, but was able to jump the curb and go onto a sidewalk and come back down a driveway. This sent him back about 30 places...but he sprinted the last lap to move up and end up 5th in the sprint for 8th overall. It wasn't the results we were looking, but at least Curtis made some points. He is probably in 2nd or 3rd overall now.

Tomorrow is a race in a place called Alpine Valley...Curtis and I just got done driving the course, and all I can say is, "Oh brother"! There are several long, steep, leg breaking climbs! So pray for us Florida, criterium riding, flatlanders!

We're staying a place called Alpine Valley Resort...it's a strange place. The place is in the middle of nowhere, and it's practically deserted. It reminds me of the resort in the movie The Shining! "Redrum...redrum" - for those of you who saw the movie.

I'm not totally sure of our internet access form here on out...but I hope to at least get to a Starbucks and updated periodically. Below are a couple non-race shots...until next time...

Picture of the "Rose" water tower in Rosemont, Illinois


This is some granola, free range, grain fed, organic, hippie place where Curtis buys his milk...I don't know...ask him...


I thought this was an interesting sign...


Curtis calling for the ski report...


This is the backside of the ski slope...they added dirt to make it higher! I find this strange...