Saturday, July 21, 2007

International Cycling Classic - Day 8 (7/21/07)

Carl Zach Cycling Classic
The course today had 8 turns with a sharp downhill turn, and a slight uphill finish for a total lap distance of .7 miles. Curtis and I are concentrated on trying to win the overall, so we are racing full tilt.

About lap 2 in the 50 lap race there was a 10 man split, and I bridged across to it. Later, Curtis bridged up with a few other riders, and that was the break. During the next few laps there were several premes, and Curtis took one for $50. Two riders ended up getting away, and lapped the field. As the top 3 overall watched each other, two others got across to lap the field. The rest of the break got within 200 yards of lapping the field, but then the attacks started and the gap stabilized.

After Curtis and I made several attempts to get away, I got away solo for about 3-4 laps...but was being chased pretty hard. I dropped back to the group with about 8 laps to go. Curtis made the next move and stayed away solo to take 5th. My early efforts took some of the sting out of the old legs, and combined with being overgeared I got rocked in the sprint and ended up 9th. I lost 1 point to the leader and 2 points to the guy in 3rd place.

Tomorrow is the last race of the series...and we're going out with guns blazing. I'm going to take some chances, which could drop me out of second place...but I came here with the goal of winning, so we'll see what we can do.

Curtis found his new home...


Me with Otto Wenz, Jr. He started Superweek from a single race in 1969 to the longest running multi-day bicycle series in the Unites States. A member of the United States Cycling Hall of Fame, and one heck of a personable guy...thanks Otto!